Wednesday, March 19, 2008

TRJE week #4

So, I'm back in Indiana after a nice, sunny spring break on the beach, and it's back to the grindstone as they say. The night before we left for Florida I spent a couple of hours observing a TRJE dance rehearsal. This was my first Friday night with the group as I'm usually working, and it was a very different experience. When I attend on Saturdays for the creative writing group I participate in everything the group does. Since I don't really feel comfortable dancing (though I was invited to several times), I just observed this rehearsal. Though we did start out with the usual opening circle, and I did participate in that. After opening circle the group got right down to the rehearsal with the younger kids rehearsing first. The older kids had a class during this time (peace studies, I think), and then took the dance floor for the second half of the practice. The group's master dance teacher from Afrika was back with the group, and many of them (especially the older ones) seemed really excited about this. I was warned in advance that he was a tough task master, and that definitely proved to be true. While he wasn't what I would call harsh, he had no problem telling the kids if they were doing something wrong and that it wasn't OK. There was no coddling. While this seemed a little mean at first (especially with the younger kids), I soon realized that it is this kind of high expectation that makes the kids so good at what they do. And they are good. You can also tell, when you are just sitting back and watching, which kids are the really dedicated ones. They are the ones who are not only good and know the dances really well, but most importantly are the ones who stand in the front of the group (near the giant dance floor mirror) and put everything into the dances. They don't get cranky when they are corrected half a dozen times for the same mistake, but put everything they have into each subsequent try. It is a very impressive and even inspiring attitude. I would really like to be able to see the group perform before the semester is out. I can only imagine how amazing they are in full dress and with the whole group performing together. Aside from the dance itself, another thing I noticed that Friday was how much more comfortable I feel with the group after only a few visits. Even though I didn't participate this time, I exchanged casual comments and observation with passing staff members and felt very comfortable. I even picked up a couple of pretty cute admirers (one who asked to be my boyfriend) though I think they may be some 20 years too young for me. Anyway, I hope to be able to attend another Friday rehearsal before the semester is out, and will keep you posted.

No comments: