Thursday, March 6, 2008

Libation

So, since I don't have any TRJE experiences to relate this week, I thought I would once again visit the ever-handy Wikipedia and investigate something related to my TRJE experiences (the real research will come in time, I promise!). As I mentioned before, libation is a ritual that the kids in TRJE practice that really intrigues me (see the description in my post on TRJE week #2). In fact, thinking about it inspired my creative arts in health and wellness project that I'm doing for another class this semester. So, I thought I would learn a little more about the tradition. According to Wikipedia, libation is a ritual pouring of a drink as an offering to a god that was common in religions/cultures in antiquity. The liquid was most often wine or olive oil (the use of olive oil would, I assume, be a regional practice) but could be anything including perfume, honey, fruit juices, other oils, fats or any precious liquid. The liquid was traditionally poured onto something of religious significance (like an altar) or onto the ground as an offering to the earth (or, I would think, earth gods/goddesses). Mention of the practice of libation is found in many ancient Greek texts, the Bible, Japanese culture, some South American cultures, and African culture (there are probably others not mentioned here as well). In some cultures it seems to be an offering to or remembrance of ancestors (this is roughly what the TRJE kids do). One comment posted to the Wikipedia article even suggests a connection to the ancient Chinese custom of "bai-san" in which food and drink offerings are made at the grave of an ancestor. Also, if I remember correctly from my Spanish classes, a similar custom of food and drink offerings to ancestors is practiced in Mexico. So, it seems that libation and similar practices are fairly widespread and exist in many forms in many cultures. No matter what the origin of the practice, I think that if it honors those who have gone before us and helps orient our awareness toward those people, then it is a good one. I respect the kids of TRJE for making it a part of their lives.

No comments: