Thursday, February 28, 2008

TRJE week #3

This past Saturday I once again spent a couple of hours (1-3pm) of my afternoon with the kids of TRJE, and let me just say that it wasn't all fun and games. I'm used to having Saturday afternoons before work to either recuperate a bit from the week or sit at my desk in my PJs catching up on homework. It might sound winy, but it's not easy for me to pull myself together an be on for those 2 or 3 hours. And you have to be on. Far from being casual observers, those of us who are spending time with the group as a part of our projects participate in everything the kids do (except the actual practice). We write and discuss and give feedback and participate in the rituals of the opening circle. It was that opening circle that got to me last Saturday. The kids had been assigned group projects by Ketu, and those projects were due Saturday. We had heard mention of them, but did not know what they were. It seems that each group had been given an event in African American history and asked to research it and give an oral presentation on it. The way it seemed to me was that the kids had been given the assignment, reminded about the due date, and then left to themselves. Well . . . kids are kids, and only one of the at least half dozen groups were ready to present on time. This group was made up of two of the older boys in the group and they gave a very good presentation. After they presented, each of the other groups were called and each said that they were not prepared. This really upset Ketu, and he not only added to their assignments that are now due this coming Saturday (I wish I were going to be there to hear them), but also gave a fairly long lecture that made even those of us who are not in the group feel uncomfortable. He told he kids that they did not have enough appreciation for the people who have sacrificed to make their lives safe and comfortable. He said that they are lazy about knowing their own history and that not knowing history is how it ends up repeating itself. He told them that laziness gets people killed. Even though I never had an assignment to present, I felt like I was being addressed. I know that I don't know enough about those who have made my freedoms possible, about for example, those who worked so hard for me to be able to vote and own property and have rights equal to the men in this country. These are rights that I know I take for granted and ones that women in many other cultures and countries do not enjoy. I think that for the next meeting of the group I will make a point to have some names to call out during libation (see TRJE week #2). While it can be very uncomfortable, I think it is important for us to be reminded from time to time of those who cam before us to whom we owe the kinds of lives we live today. No matter what race or ethnicity or gender we are, we all have people to be grateful for.

3 comments:

Therese said...

I think that you and I were on the same page as far as our appreciation for the sacrifices others have made in the past for us. Ketu's words really made me stop and think, too. I minored in women's studies at IPFW and it was the eye opening experience of my life. I wish that a basic women's studies course was required for all undergrad students, just like basic math and english. I am humbled by what I have learned and continue to learn, but know I that I can never know everything. I wish I had more time to dedicate to volunteering and activism. One thing that helps me is knowing that even the small things that I do, like educating myself on issues...helps to educate others and that keeps the knowledge going. PS...March is National Women's History Month. You would probably find this link very inspiring, http://www.nwhp.org/.

LibraryBlondie said...

That kind of requirement would be nice, but then how many other "minorities" should have to be studied as well? I agree with Robert that part of the problem lies in the fact that our culture sees the majority history and culture, and then all others (women's, African American, etc) are side notes. If American history were "re-visioned" to include the history of all Americans then we wouldn't need Black History Month and Women's History Month. I think it requires a change in practice and thought.

LibraryBlondie said...

Just wanted to post a quick correction. After my last TRJE visit I realized that it was Cory who made the comments about Black History Month, not Robert as I said.

Malissa