Thursday, February 14, 2008

TRJE

OK, this week I promise to stay on topic! Last week was a bit of a digression, but who doesn't like a good digression. I know I do. Anyway, this past Saturday I began my service learning with the Three Rivers Jenbe Ensemble as promised. I managed to find the right building after only one (extended) extra block and only a little bit of panic. I got there around 1 pm and was able to stay until 3. This time included the check-in circle and the creative writing class held by Dr. Cain. Next time I hope to be able to stay for at least some of the practice after the class, but last week I had a family obligation. Anyway, like I said, the first thing that we did was join the check in circle. Dr. Cain, Leigh, her daughter and I were actually the first ones there so we removed our shoes, (I wasn't planing on a "no shoes" rule and am glad I didn't wear one of my many pairs of holey socks!) sat on the floor and waited for the others. Soon the kids began trickling in. They arranged themselves in a sort of circle on the floor, and when it looked like everyone was there the check in began. Right away everyone was asked if they had any guests, and we (Leigh, her daughter and I) were introduced along with the three guest of one of the boys. We were asked to stand and introduce ourselves and tell a little bit about ourselves. Then the kids were asked to lead the group in their recitations which seem to be something along the lines of a creed. Then the kids were asked if they had any announcements, concerns or celebratory items to share. Several shared good grades they had received in the past week or progress they were making in school subjects that had been troubling them and one girl asked for help with her French class. After everyone who wanted it had been given the opportunity to share and receive a response, the topic changed to the upcoming calendar and important dates for the next few weeks. The kids were then dismissed to either practice or the creative writing group.
I really enjoyed this check-in circle time, and it allowed me to see right away how comfortable the group is with one another. While there was a certain order to the proceedings, it wasn't too orderly, and the kids acted like kids fidgeting and moving around comfortably. They were also really comfortable sharing not only their successes with each other, but their problems too. I thought it was really neat that the girl who is struggling in French felt that she could bring her problem to the group and ask for help. Her problem was handled with an immediate suggestion that she attend a couple of weekly meetings of a French speaking group and report back. Another interesting thing I noticed was a somewhat scraggly spider plant growing in a pot inside a straw hat that was placed in the center of the circle. I did not ask what the plant was about, but I plan to this week.
Once we had left the circle in the dance studio room and arranged ourselves in another room we had introductions again. Then we began writing. We guests wrote along with the students. The topic for the day was African Americans who have made a positive impact on the African American community (this was the chosen theme since February is Black History Month). We began by all thinking of an African American who we thought has had a positive impact. We shared these verbally and then were instructed to come up with a list of traits or qualities of a person who has a positive impact on the African American community. These traits could be those of our chosen person or anyone who fit the bill. After also sharing these, we were instructed to pretend that it was 30 years in the future and we were writing to share the impact some person (again our chosen person, another or a fictional person) had made on the African American community. These could be in any form we chose and could be partly or completely fictional. I chose to write mine in the form of a daily newspaper article. One girl wrote a beautiful poem that she read to the group. The rest of the kids writings were handed into Dr. Cain to be revisited next time. The final goal is to come up with finished works that can be read to the check-in circle.
I am really glad that I have chosen to work with this creative writing group. It is amazing some of the insights that the kids came up with during our writing and discussion. It is unusual to see high school and younger kids not only thinking about things on such a real and deep level, but also feeling comfortable sharing their thoughts with a group of their peers. This is just another example of how this group holds together. Also, I can already see that the kids have real talent. I was told that the girl who wrote the poem also writes song lyrics. That's something I could never do! I think it is going to be very interesting and a lot of fun to work with this group of kids.

1 comment:

Joseph said...

First, OMG Pink!

I have recovered. This told me about what you did, but not why maybe that was farther down and I missed it...
(I only read the top two posts)

Via Con Dios