Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Project Update

OK, so here's what's happening with the project this week. To begin with, my teaching date with TRJE has been pushed back because it turns out that they are on spring break this week. I would have liked to get the lesson taught because it would have given me more time to have the kids revise their work to be included on my blog/site, but I guess I can't begrudge them a spring break. I had one. So I have one more week to research and prepare, and that's what I've been doing. In the past when I've done research for projects and papers I have relied exclusively on my own library research. This time I've been trying to use a few other people as resources, and I'm still unsure how that's going. As I said before, I asked Ketu of TRJE for advice and he referred me to a children's librarian at the ACPL. I think when I posted last I was still waiting for a response from her. She emailed me back the end of last week offering help and asking me to call her directly. I did that yesterday, but she wasn't at her phone. I left a message asking her to return my call or email me with a time she would be available. So far I haven't heard anything back. If I don't hear from her today, I may try again tomorrow. At the same time I am trying to get a hold of video from the IPFW tv station of a West African griot (storyteller) who was apparently at IPFW a couple of years ago for the visiting writers series (in conjunction with TRJE). Dr. Cain strongly recommended that I try to view this tape, so I have contacted someone at the station and am still waiting for a reply (it's only been a day so far). I have also been doing my own research and have found a couple of articles through EBSCOhost and hope to find more. What have I discovered? That "human resources" may be useful, but they can be a lot more time consuming than the paper or electronic kind. I'll keep you posted.

No comments: